My go kart project took about two years to complete working on it in my free time. It started as a project for my high school shop class. I bent the steel using the pipe bender at the shop. I also machined a few parts on the lathe as well as the CNC mill.
The tan box reads the temperature of the cylinder heads. The engine is air cooled so it can overheat easily on a hot summer day.
The brake calipers came off a Kawasaki motorcycle.
The beginning. 1985 Polaris SS
I welded custom headers to move exhaust around the seat.
The top shaft was machined down to fit the gear snuggly. The gear is made for a spline shaft, but instead I fit it on tight and then welded it to the shaft to save money. The bottom gear is welded to a hub with a keyway so it fits the 1" rear axle. The axle is hardened stainless steal and came off a piece of excercise equitment.
This was when I had one disc brake, but I soon upgraded to the motorcycle brakes. This picture shows the bracket holding the chaincase.
Once I realized how fast and scary this thing is, I decided to put on a roll cage. And some color.